What To Do If Ants Are Already Invading Your Yard
Just like the mercury in a thermometer, as the weather heats up here in Tennessee, ant activity will rise. However, if winter did not get cold enough, that activity may already be booming. It depends on the weather here in Tennessee, but there are years when the weather stays warm through winter and ants aren’t threatened to stop their annoying habits. If your property already has ant activity, it could mean that as ant season starts to heat up with the weather, your home could already be at risk.
Steps Residents Can Take To Keep Ants At Bay
If there are already ant hills on your property, it is only a matter of time before scouting ants sneak inside and search your home for food. For ants, this requires two things, a way to sneak inside, and food to scavenge. If these two things are not available to them, your chances of finding ant lines crawling across your kitchen floor will drop quite a bit. Here are some easy steps you can take to keep ants away from your home.
- When you are done eating, store leftover foods in airtight containers, out of the reach of ants.
- Consider installing dehumidifiers in areas of your home that are high in humidity such s basements, attics, and crawl spaces.
- Search for and fix any leaky pipes.
- Make sure your gutters are working properly and directing water away from the foundation of your home.
- Pick up pet food after you feed your pets.
- Sweep floors and clean counters regularly.
- Use a caulking gun to seal any gaps or cracks in your home’s foundation and around utility piping.
- Keep in mind that even a crumb is a meal for an ant, and a handful of crumbs can feed a good part of his colony.
- The more you can reduce potential ant food sources and entry points around your home, the less likely you will be to see ants in high numbers causing trouble.
Why The Best Solution is To Get Your Property Professionally Treated For Ants
As helpful as the above DIY steps can be, they do not always work perfectly to keep troublesome ants away from your home. If you want the best solution to keep ants at bay, we recommend our professional ant treatments. Here at HTP Termite Pest Control, Inc, we have just that. With just a single visit from one of our expertly trained pest technicians, we will have your home on its way to being ant-free. If that is what you are looking for, contact us today!